Increase your awareness of each time you come in contact with print, visual, sound, or digital media for a three-day period. You can create your own method for keeping track of your usage hits, but please note the following:
- Type of media (text, print, visual, sound, or digital)
- Title or name of the media
- Amount of time you spent using this media
- Motivation for using it (homework, socializing, relaxation, mood management, etc.)
- Context and situation (where you are when you're using it and why you're using it)
After three days, review the chart to look for patterns. Write a short essay describing the patterns and reflect on your own thoughts and feelings regarding media use choices over the period of time. In the essay, address these questions:
- What medium do you use the most? What do you use the least? Why?
- Was your media use during this period of time more or less than typical for you? Why or why not?
- Reflect on your behavior over the three day period, which medium could you live without, if necessary?
- Which medium would be most difficult to live without? Why?
- Why type of media do you use as part of a social activity and which are used mostly when you are alone? What factors explain this?
- How do you use different types of media for work, social communication, and leisure purposes?
- Is there anything about your consumption of media that you would like to change? Why or why not?